The Experience You Need. The Attention You Deserve.
Nursing Home Neglect & Abuse
Today, people are living longer which often raises questions about long term care. For those who are unable to care for themselves, it may be necessary to enter a skilled nursing facility. Although many nursing homes provide residents with quality care, incidents of abuse and neglect are far too common.
The Noland Law Firm serves Kanas City, Clay County, Liberty, and Blue Springs residents and is dedicated to protecting the rights of the most vulnerable members of our society. We believe that nursing homes who are negligent in the care of elders and other residents must be held accountable. If you or a loved one has been the victim of abuse or neglect, we can help you obtain just compensation.
Nursing Home Abuse in Kansas City
Residents of skilled nursing facilities can be abused in a number of ways including physical abuse, and emotional abuse that leads to pain and suffering.
- Physical abuse often involves assault, battery, sexual assault, or the inappropriate use of physical or chemical restraints. Evidence of these injuries are cuts, bruises and other physical injuries.
- Emotional abuse includes verbal abuse, being ignored, isolated or mistreated in any way that adversely affects a patient's well being. Signs of emotional abuse are not visible, however, but are often revealed by personality or behavioral changes.
Nursing Home Neglect in Kansas City
Neglect, abandonment, isolation or other forms of mistreatment occur when a nursing homes fails to provide the appropriate standard of care. Nursing home neglect can lead to a variety of injuries and illnesses, including:
- Falls - Nursing homes are required to develop a care plan when a patient enters the facility. This is essentially a risk assessment to determine the type of assistance a patient will need to safely move around. Nursing homes must have adequate staff on hand to assist residents with getting around. Inadequately supervised residents are prone to falls due to wet floors, improper bed heights, and poor lighting.
- Pressure Sores - Patients suffer pressure sores, or bed sores, due to inattentive care which can not only be painful, but life-threatening. Residents need to be regularly turned, kept clean and dry and properly hydrated and nourished.
- Wandering or Elopement - Patients who are mentally impaired, due to dementia or Alzheimer's disease, require special care. Poorly supervised residents can wander away from a facility and suffer serious bodily harm or death.
- Malnutrition or Dehydration - Residents must be provided with adequate nutrition and hydration at all times. Malnutrition and dehydration can lead to unnecessary pain and suffering and death.
Kansas City Nursing Home Neglect Injury Lawyer
At the Noland Law Firm, we believe skilled nursing home facilities have an obligation to provide proper care to their residents. If you or a loved one has been harmed due to abuse or neglect, we will offer you knowledge and compassion, help you obtain meaningful compensation, and ensure that the appropriate care is being provided. We serve individuals and families in Kansas City, Blue Springs, Gladstone, Independence, Liberty, Clay County, and throughout the greater Kansas City area. We also recommend you visit our Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Case Results.
Noland Law Firm LLC
34 Westwoods Drive